Monday 8 August 2011

Its been a While

I'm surprised at how long it has been since I last posted! but work has been mega busy with withdrawing, reclassifying, packing ready for a move to a new Library as well as spending half my time helping out with our reprographics department.

I have got so much to catch up on, I am aware that I have still not got round to adding a photo of myself (all the ones I have are a bit outdated) or sorting out my LinkedIn profile or even managing my twitter account. However hoepfully all that will change once I get my new phone with internet access (yep thats how behind the times I am) as I will be able to keep on top of things when travelling around rather than trying to remember to do it when I get home.

For now I am going to bypass blogging Google calendar I have added it to my account but Iam not yet using it (again hopefully this will change with the new phone) and Evernote as although I read the entry on the CPD23 blog I didn't really get how to use it. Which brings me to thing 10!

I have given a lot of thought as to what I want to do. My ideal role would be either a school Librarian or a Librarian in a Public Library. Both of these positions are few and far between in my local area and so considering this  the costs of doing a Masters in Library management woouldn't benefit me for quite some time (unless I chose to move which is a whole other post altogether), I do see the merits of it and if I was in a position in which I could afford to do a long distance course I would jump at the chance but at the moment I don't think it is essential for what I would like to do. having read the CPD23blog and being a frequesnt visitor to the CILIP site I think the route that would best suit me would be to work towards a slightly more senior role such as that of Senior Learning Resource Assistant and then work towards certification as this is something that I feel I can achieve alongside my other life goals.

1 comment:

  1. Sam you're right. When I was a school librarian (before they gave me the boot!), there were 16 of us in the borough and only 3 had a library degree; a few of the others were completely unqualified but the majority had NVQ3 in library skills. Get that, then ACLIP certification and Bob's your uncle! Plus, there other types of quals you can get that will help you. ECDL is mandetory for public libraries (so I was once told) and PTLLS is very useful in teaching environments such as schools. Check out your local adult education college - until this yr mine offered one free evening course to every local resident, so I didn't have to pay for PTLLS. I'm hoping to do a line management course in Sept paid for by the workplace - maybe there's something you could do for free too?

    But experience is the key, and whilst I know the Summer here is taken up with the new build, you're actually building up quite a bit under your belt. Just make sure you're maintaining a portfolio of activity (which doubles up to take into interviews allowing you to direct the discussion). Once the Summer is over we can focus on your PPDP again and you'll get even more experience then!

    ReplyDelete