Monday 15 August 2011

Thing 13.1

Well so far I have created a document in google docs and just waiting to see how it works (I have added a colleague with editing rights so we will see if she can indeed edit). I have used something similar call Sky Drive in hotmail as myself and two firends are trying to plan a hen do for another friend and it seemed the easiest way in which we could all access and edit the documents. BUT we have had a few issues with it 1) if one person is in the document then no one else can view it 2) after editing it creates a new draft which does get rather confusing. If I have any success with google docs I may suggest we switch to it as will make things a lot easier.

I can also see how this could come in handy in the work environment too. Currently we have two methods of sharing documents 1) via our college extranet, which means all college staff can have access to and edit our documents and 2)we have a shared network space. Both of these have similar problems to the skydrive so google docs could be a useful alterntive.

I haven't been able to set up dropbox at work as I need administration rights to dowload it, however I have registered and will try again later at home. I heard about dropbox at the RSC-em e-fair and think it is great. I think it will be really handy for documents that I need to access both at home and at work for example the other day I wanted to add my CV to Linked-In but that is on my computer at home so will need to either do it at home or forward it myself via attachment in an email that I can open at work. So it will be very handy to have certain documnets always available. In addition to this I think that dropbox is mobile device freindly so if you take a picture on your mobile that you might want to use later it can simply be put into the drop-box.

I watched the clip on Wiki's and undertand how they work (this would have been a handy video to show to students when I tried to explain why Wikipedia is not a reliable source for info). However if everyone has to sign up simply to view and edit the page then it would be just as simple to use google docs.

Thats my views for now but will write again when I've made some progress with google docs and dropbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment