Thursday 29 September 2011

practiticing with Prezi

So for thing 17 we were to give Prezi a try. I read the article and looked at a few Prezi's and thought they were great. After that thought I sort of filed it away in my head and didn't actually try it out.

However last week I did my first blogging session which went quite well and I did an accompanying powerpoint - which really was just a bigger verion of cue cards for me and held no real useful information. I mentioned to our Librarian that I wanted to do a "how to" guide to pot on our blog/ website for students to look at after the session if they wanted to recap but felt that a powerpoint was a bit boring. The Librarian suggested I try Prezi as it's a bit different, you can still get across all the same information but in a slightly less mundane way. Moreover I had seen the Libray Indution Prezi that our User Education Senior Learning Resources Assistant (UESLRA) put together and was impressed with how much more visual and entertaining it was.

So yesterday I re-read the CPD23 post about Prezi, looked at the tips and watched the 'intro to prezi' video about 5 times but still really struggled to get started. I was sat next to our UESLRA and asked lots of questions and her advice (as was on many a blog) was just have a go and a play around until you feel comfortable. I spent a lot of time on it and by the end of yesterday felt a bit more comfortable about the whole thing, It is hard no to try and follow the power point format of slide after slide but I do like the variation in frames and that I can put my information anywhere then put a path in to link it to the next bit of info.

I still think I need to play a bit more to understand it a bit better - a user guide would have been useful, but I suppose it's difficult to produce a user guide when the way people would use Prezi would vary depending on thier creativity and what they want it for. As my post may suggest I'm still unsure as to whether I like Prezi or not - I certainly like what other people have managed to do with it - I'm just not sure If i'm creative enough to make it work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment